Menubar

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Princess Line Dress




This dress is a dream come true. When I was in college I had a princess line dress which I absolutely loved. It was well made in a lovely rust red printed fabric with a belt in self fabric. In memory of my favourite dress I drafted this one. The princess seams lend elegance so I decided to keep it really simple. The dress has an invisible zipper on the left. At the hem, instead of a double fold I overlocked the edge, folded it once and used the catch stitch to hem it.

This video by Colleen G Lea helped me a lot in sewing the princess seams : Sewing a princess seamLove all of Colleen's videos.

Once the princess seams turned out well I went ahead and overlocked all the seams with the overlock foot. It takes longer than the overlock machine but I'm glad I did it.
 
My steam iron is, well...out of steam. I had to make do with dry ironing which isn't the best thing when the fabric is a bit difficult to iron. Buying a good steam iron is on the top of my to do list now.


What I like about this dress is that its very versatile. Looks good belted or without and also goes very well with my beautiful blue necklace. 


21 comments:

  1. Very pretty Suma! Both the dress and the model. Now I have to take sewing classes from you once I get to Bangalore.....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vidya! Really looking forward to meeting you soon.

      Delete
  2. awesome! n I love the way you model your pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And these comments inspire me to do better :) Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Dress suma.

    www.shamiatcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gorgeousness!! I love the color of the fabric you chose and I love the look of the ensemble in the first pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie! I love it too. And to think that I almost didn't buy the fabric.

      Delete
  5. Lovely pics & gorgeous dress. Pls do show a closeup of ur neck-lace or lace necklace :-) It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress looks fabulous and fits you so well! What is the fabric? You have accessorised it so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sanhita :) The fabric is cotton, just a bit thicker.

      Delete
  7. It is a beautiful dress,Suma. love it.very English.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wondering how i missed it ! its super fitting! I love your dress

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful dress! Sooo chic. Can be teamed up with a blazer n voila! you've got a formal wear ready:-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right!! That's why I love this dress so much. Its very versatile.

      Delete
  10. My daughter is 12 and she loves this dress. Where can we buy one in Bangalore? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that a tween loves it :) Since I've drafted and made this myself I really haven't looked for such dresses in stores. Maybe you could try Zara or Mango. You could even get a local tailor to make a similar one. You will have to tell your tailor that this princess style line starts at the armhole. Hope this helps.

      Delete