Menubar

Friday, May 3, 2013

4KCBWDAY4: Colour Review




I had a lovely extended weekend break which put brakes on my blogging plans for the blog week. It was a much welcome break but left me lazy. Its 3 days since we returned and I'm now continuing with my posts for the blog event.

Day 4: Here is what the brief for this day said

What are your favourite colours for knitted or crocheted projects. Have a think about what colours you seem to favour when yarn shopping and crafting.

Only after writing this part of your post should you then actually look to see what colours you have used in your projects. Make a quick tally of what colours you have used in your projects over the past year and compare it to the colours you have written about. Compare this, in turn, to the colours that are most dominant in your yarn stash – do they correlate?

Now think back to your house animal - do the colours you have chosen relate to your animal in anyway - if you are in the house of peacock, for example, are your projects often multicoloured and bright?


While shopping for yarn, I'm usually drawn to shades of purple but I eventually tend to pick yarns more by a combination of texture (read fibre) and colour than by colour alone. My theory is that certain colours look good in certain textures much like some car models look good in specific colours.

Case in point is this cowl I made in squishy Alpaca Grande by Plymouth yarn. I remember that there was purple available but I chose this green. The colour just brings out the squishiness of the yarn. I also buy yarn without a project in mind most of the time. The amount I buy is decided by the price and the weight of the yarn. If the price is great then I buy yarn enough for a sweater/jacket. I usually buy only solid colours but this variegated yarn was just so gorgeous I had to buy it. I crocheted the scarf and shawl soon after I bought it.

I went through the projects I've made in the past. I find that I've actually managed to learn quite a lot. That makes me feel extremely happy. About the colours I was surprised to find that I've used red in many projects. Green and blue-green come second.

  

In my stash I find that I have almost all colours. Pinks and purples are just a bit more than the others. My New Zealand trip ensured that I have yarn in sheep colour too. But there is just one set of black. Looks like black is not something I veer towards.

Do the colours you have chosen relate to your animal in anyway.

Oh yes, it does relate to the house of monkey. All the colours and different fibres, from silk to linen to possum, will ensure that I always have something new to work with.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment